Saturday, November 22, 2008

8-year-old murder case gets even weirder

This follow up article can be found at: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/21/boy.murder.case/index.html

A boy shoots his father and another man, and authorities are vague and accusatory and no one seems to be fighting for the child's innocence: weird.

The boy's prosecutor asks for some of the charges to be dropped with a one-paragraph vague motion saying, "the interest of justice would be served by such dismissal": weirder.

The boy admits to shooting his father, but after he found him wounded on the floor, he just wanted to shoot him twice more to stop his "suffering": WTF!?

Lede: Normal summary lede with all the pertinent info and w's
An Arizona prosecutor Friday asked to dismiss one of two murder charges against an 8-year-old boy suspected in the shooting deaths of his father and another man.

This sets up the reader to wondering what the heck is going on with this case, why only one charge dropped? Well, unfortunately, this article, like the first, serves mostly to bring up more questions instead of providing answers. Although, in the author's defense, the circumstances make it so. For instance, the description of the 8-year-old who was sitting cross-legged and who seems to change his story and forget whether he shot his father once or twice. One of the weirdest quotes from this kid is when he's talking about seeing his father dead and he said he "cried for about 30 minutes."
There are so many weird things about that quote I don't even know if I want to get into it. But, I have time, so I will.
1. 30 minutes?! That's it? You just found your dad wounded on the floor and it only takes 3o minutes to compose yourself? And, let me repeat, composing himself didn't mean calling the police, it meant finding a gun and putting his dad out of his misery. This makes me think it was rehearsed, maybe he had some help.
2. He's 8. I almost want to leave that as it's own. I think I will.
3. He can't remember if he shot his dad once or twice, but he has a pretty clear idea of how long he cried.
4. 8-year-old cries for 30 minutes after finding his father wounded and then gets a gun and shoots him. I need a new word since "weird" is losing it's meaning. Confusing?

If the boy's story is true, I find this to be a sad case on many levels, the boy needs some mental and emotional support, and, for pete's sake, where is the mother?!

Long story short, this article confounds me as much as the first. The ending is pretty much a giant question mark, "If the motion to dismiss is granted, it would leave open the possibility that the charge could be refiled." Nothing seems to be concrete in dealing with this case.
It's not even a fizzle, it's like a word version of a shrug.

2 comments:

Fad said...

That was a very strange article and I love your question that you ask. Reading your thoughts was interesting and made me think more when I read the article.

Carmenw13 said...

this case keeps getting more and more interesting... I like your analysis of it.

About Me

My photo
Kalamazoo, Mich.
Breakfast burritos.